Morning rituals. It may sound like some type of ceremonial practice in which small animals are slaughtered in a devastating sacrifice to help appease the Gods…except it’s not as interesting..or barbaric. A Morning Ritual is simply performing certain routine tasks which can help you feel more awake, energized, and motivated to start your day. Having a morning ritual really helps me keep it all together and prevents me from, well, becoming a total nutcase–I’m pretty sure my Husband can appreciate that.
A morning ritual can mean something different for everyone and is usually determined by what your goals are. For me personally, I like to ensure that I wake up on a positive note regardless of how I might feel physically. There are days when I wake up feeling more tired than usual or can feel slightly off in one way or another. Whether I’m plagued by aches and pains or simply feel under the weather, I try my best to stick to the plan and execute my tasks.
Since I work a corporate 9-5 job and run a small side gig, It is absolutely vital for me to make sure that I am starting the day out right by stretching, keeping myself fueled with a healthy and hearty breakfast, and reading or listening to positive affirmations. I have a few online mentors that I look up..Tony Robbins is one of them. I often try to watch and listen to various videos and podcasts of information that will help keep me motivated to push myself and be the very best I can be. What’s more is that I also like to spend time with my toddler in the mornings since we’re away from each other all day. By the way, he must support this whole morning ritual thing because he sure loves to wake me up super early daily. But hey, I could use all that extra time anyway right? meh, sleep is overrated.
Anyway, I do have some ideas for creating a morning ritual for yourself and tips on how you can sick with it. You too can be a master of this “art” and you don’t even have to be a morning person…I sure aint!
- Try and wake up at the same time every morning. You can achieve this by setting your alarm clock to ring at the same exact time every morning. If it helps, put your alarm clock/phone out of reach so that it forces you to get out of bed and walk to turn it off.
- Spend some time doing something you love. For me, it used to be getting a cardio session in at the gym. Since I no longer have the time for that (hello Mom life), I feel that simply stretching and doing some breathing exercises helps me relax and stay focused.
- Read positive affirmations aloud to yourself. These can be found online by doing a google search or by searching for tags on social media sites. I personally use Instagram for this and choose 3 on a daily basis that I feel really speak to me. Now you can always recite these in front of a mirror to amplify the results.
- Eat a hearty and healthy breakfast. You’d be surprised the amount of people I know who simply do not eat breakfast. I’ve never understood this because for, breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day. I love to eat something that will keep me fueled and give me energy to begin my day such as steel cut oats, egg whites, a sprouted bagel, and a tall smoothie .
- Plan out your day. If you’re anything like me, time management is just not your forte. With our crazy busy lives, it’s easy to get wrapped up in what we’re doing and lose track of time. but this is even more reason to keep yourself organized and what works for me personally is jotting down a quick to-do list for the day. This way, I’m not as overwhelmed and panicky about what needs to be done.
- Pray or meditate. Whichever works for you. For me, it’s prayer and expressing gratitude. However, you don’t need to be super religious or have a set prayer in mind. Simply being in a quiet environment where you can shut your brain off for a little and simply be still can really help boost your spirits and calm you.
- Drink a tall glass of water with lemon. Preferably before you’ve eaten breakfast. This really helps to re-hydrate the body after a night of fasting. In addition, it can aid in the digestion process and help cleanse your internal organs. I would watch my Husband do this every morning and never gave it a second thought until I decided to try it one day and wow! what a difference it made for me. Try it for yourself.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. These are just the different elements that work for me personally and help keep me on track. I think it’s super important to adopt a morning ritual especially in today’s crazy world. It can be hard to stick to at first but believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!